Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ants, Rain, Cigars, and Sleeping

Last week a kid in my class says, “Look! Ants!” I was thinking a couple of ants, but what he meant was actually about 5,000 ants in the corner of my room! These were of course the biting ants, is there another kind that would infest my room? As kids start to stomp on the ants the realize the ants bite and quickly decide to stop walking through the huge patch of ants. Then we go outside and see ants climbing all over the wall! There must have been around 30,000 ants climbing all over the wall and in my classroom! We went back into the classroom to see if they were leaving and they started to fall from the ceiling! Ants were crawling along the crossbeams and there were so many that ants were being pushed off and falling onto tables and people. Teodoro (guard) used a whole can of Raid in the room and still there were ants all over. After about an hour or so they were all gone. Teodoro told me that it means rain is coming and he predicted rain that night…
Later that night it did not rain, but the next night it did! It wasn’t quite the rain storm I was hoping for, but it was a decent amount of rain.
This past weekend Tyler and I went to Santa Rosa de Copan, which is about 2-3 hours away from here on the bus. On the way there I got car sick and threw up on two different buses out the window. When we got there Tyler and I each didn’t feel good so we took a three hour nap! I figured that I wasn’t feeling good from being carsick, but I slept 10 hours that night and woke up with a little bit of a soar throat. Things haven’t gotten any better since then, although they haven’t gotten much worse either. I was going to brave it out today at school but instead decided to come home early and have the librarian sub for me. She can handle the little squirts for a couple hours.:)
As for the cigars, when we were in Santa Rosa we took a tour of the cigar factory there in town. They make around 60 or 70,000 completely hand-made cigars each day. There are over 150 different brands of cigars made in the factory and they are shipped out all over the world. Some of the cigars are sold for upwards of $3 or 4 each…that seems like a lot to me for getting cancer. There has to be a cheaper way.:) Still, Tyler and I both got free cigars for going on the tour and I’m not too sure what to do with it. It’s gigantic and just sitting in my bag still right now. Maybe I’ll give it to one of the kids at school as a prize…kids love that sort of thing.:)

No comments: