Sunday, March 22, 2009

Viaje a Paraíso (Part II)

It’s now the start of my last full day in Utila and I feel like I’m starting to get back into real life mode and thinking about things like school once again. I’ve now spent 4 full days in Utila and I’ve spent about half the time not being sun burnt.:) So get this....I put sun block all over my back and everything before snorkeling. I go out for like an hour and a half on Wednesday and enjoy my time. When I get back that evening my back feels like it got burnt! When I look at it there are lines going across that aren’t sun burnt. I think, “man, that’s weird...” and start thinking back to after I put the sun block on. I sat like 5 minutes in a wood chair that had horizontal slats! The parts with the wood absorbed all my sun block and I got burnt there! Then yesterday we went snorkeling twice on a little boat excursion so I put sun block on in the morning....then again after our first snorkeling dive....and I still got sun burnt again on the back of my legs! So now being sun burnt on the back of my legs and on my back is making life at night interesting. I’m a definite back sleeper....
Anyways....I’ve decided that snorkeling is now my favorite beach activity next to sand castle building. We go out about 50 meters to the reef and get to see a ton of different sea life. The other day I got to see a “Spotted Eagle Ray” passing about 30 meters below me with a huge tail probably 15 feet long or so. I’m telling you, it’s totally like paying to enter an aquarium, except you get to swim in all the tanks! Yesterday I was swimming through a school of thousands of 6 inch long fish trying to catch one with my hands. Those buggers are fast in the water! It’s fun to extend my hands under water and chase after some of the fish trying to catch them. Of course there’s no way that I could actually reach one of the fish...but it’s still a fun game to play as long as you have the mindset that it’s ok to be defeated by an inferior species.:)

No comments: