Saturday, September 15, 2007

Another Week Another Dolor de Shushunta

I only had class three of the past five school days, and we’re only having class three days this next week. Due to the hurri/drizzle-cane the first week we only had 3 and a half. Is anybody else noticing a pattern? Actually, we will get to have 5 day weeks eventually. And by “get to” I really mean that “unfortunately I will have to work.” This second week was a whole lot better than the first one in the sense that I didn’t seriously consider quitting and returning home. I suppose that it’s always a bonus to not hate your job. I was looking at the calendar today and I believe that I will be returning home in only 15 weeks for Christmas, that’s nothing! I’ve procrastinated on big assignments in college for longer than that.

This weekend we have 5 days off of school, I’m currently on day two of the weekend and I could get used to this. Instead of thinking about going to class tomorrow I’m thinking, man, I only have 60% of my weekend ahead of me still. Friday we had a huge parade in the morning that our school marched/played in. It was super fun to help out with (which means I walked along the side of the kids to make sure they didn’t kill each other during the parade). Afterwards I took a nap, wrote some letters, and then went to a coffee plantation with all the teachers and staff from school. It was awesome because everybody was invited! From the cleaning ladies to the administration and foreign/native teachers. It was great because I got to practice a lot of Spanish with everybody and learn some new words. One of those lovely words is Shushunta. I know this sounds funny to say about a phonetic language, but I don’t know how to spell it and I’m pretty sure that’s wrong because Spanish doesn’t have the “sh” sound. Regardless, it’s apparently a really funny word/way to say “head.” I love the word!:)

The coffee plantation was a high altitude plantation, which of course means better coffee. I felt dumb when I asked why you want high altitude coffee as everybody responded in a very obvious manner, “the taste is SO much better.” Shoot…I’m obviously no coffee connoisseur. We took a tractor to the top of the plantation and then hiked down a nature trail. As soon as we started to walk some rain drops hit the trees, then the ground, then me. Tyler had my umbrella and he went with the first group which was already safely in the restaurant waiting for us. My group more or less ran down to the restaurant in the rain. Rain here is not like Oregon rain, let that be said now! I was soaked to the bone! I liked to point out though that I was only “medio-mojado” (half wet). Due to running down the hill my back side was totally dry.:) Dinner was really good and by the time we left the restaurant the rain had stopped so we could safely walk back to the busses for our ride home.

Oh joyous times in Honduras. I’m actually going to miss the rainy season come January, even though I don’t really like the rain it’s so nice to cool off in the evenings with a sweet thunder and lightening storm. As long as I’m inside it’s fun to watch and listen. Remember, while my dry season schedule is filling fast with visitors you could still find a space for cheap to visit during the rainy season!:) Thank you for reading this blog. I really enjoy when people send me notes saying that they’ve been keeping up with it. It means a lot to know that people take time to stay involved in what I’m doing down here, at least a little bit.

No comments: