Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Five Day Week?!

Are you kidding!? We actually have to go to school five straight days? This is ridiculous! I’m quitting!

Well no, I didn’t quit, but this is just getting ridiculous! We have to go to school all five days next week! That is so not fair. The first week we had 3.5 days because of hurricane Felix, then last week we only had 3 because of Children’s day and the parade, and now this week we only had 3 because of Teacher’s day and Independence Day. I’m just not cut out for this whole teaching five days per week kind of job, that’s too much for me. Luckily we have three weeks in a row with Friday off.:) Regardless of how much I want to get the time off though, I suppose that I need to go to class, I need to teach, I need to get the kids involved, and I need to not go crazy!

Today I stopped by Children’s International to see if they needed any volunteers for translating, working with children, tutoring, etc. I would like to volunteer there a couple of times per week if I could, if even just for an hour or so. I walked in, explained that I wanted to help, and a lady took me to the back. I talked to these two guys who looked fairly flabbergasted by the whole “offering to help” ordeal that I was putting them through. They said to come back on Monday when the director/coordinator will be there. I’m not entirely sure what Children’s International does, I just know that they help children. Isn’t that an amazing deduction?! I’m not a teacher for nothing.:) I think that they give out free food to families in need and then also provide a place for kids to play on the playground, study, hang out, and just try to create a network of support. From what I know of it I think it’s a pretty cool sounding organization.

Tyler and I walked by the building on accident last weekend and I immediately wanted to help out in some way. It brought back memories of being in Spain and every Thursday going to the homeless shelter to hand out food with Pedro (who loved to talk my ear off). Pedro taught me the word barranco, which means cliff.:) So hopefully on Monday the director will be in and I can help them with cleaning, tutoring, playing with kids, interpreting, translating, or something else semi-helpful. I think that being able to help out there would be a great way to relax and get rid of some stress from teaching…not to say that teaching is stressful, I wouldn’t dream of saying that.:)

1 comment:

Jared said...

Hey, Zach.

¡Qué bien oírde tí y que todo esté bien contigo! Todo está bien aquí. Sigo ayudando una chica con su español. La semana pasada aprendimos el imperfecto del subjuntivo. Lo aprendió...pues, pienso que sí :S

Have a great five-day week!