Monday, September 17, 2007

The Joy of Small Copan

This afternoon Tyler and I decided to pay a visit to Jorge’s Cousin Esmeralda and then try and find the house of Norma (sub-director) in order to get out and talk with some people. Last night I made some apple-cinnamon biscuits, I know it’s shocking, so we decided that dropping some off would be a good excuse and SUPER nice of us.

First off we go over to Esmeralda’s and have a nice, quick talk with her about church last night. Tyler and I didn’t go cause we went to a morning service instead. Apparently last night was a really good service and all the young people partnered up with adults and they prayed for each other and she was saying that she wished we were there to pray with her. Then I give her the biscuits, just two, nothing significant really, but since we are really nice people we wanted to share. In turn she invites us over for dinner tonight! Dangit! I was the nice one who was going out of my way to do something for her. She wants to make baleadas this evening and teach us how to make them. So we have a dinner date with her at 5:30-ish.

We leave there and head over to where we think Norma lives. I decide that she gets three biscuits cause I know her better. We find her house after asking around to people and she invites us in. I give her the biscuits and am just beaming from ear to ear with my generosity. She invites us to take a seat and offers us lemonade. So darn, there goes my great generosity, we are equal now. That’s alright, at least I still look pretty good from this deal, I gave her three biscuits she gives us two glasses of lemonade, that’s even. She starts telling us how she makes this crema stuff and cheese at their house. I ask if we can see it and tell her how we’re planning on buying some soon so we should buy from her. She takes us to where they make the cream and cheese and GIVES us a pound of cream and a pound of cheese. I tell her we can pay but she insists that the first one is free, then we can pay her next time. On the way out she also gives us a bunch of bananas! Oh my goodness, my great generosity is nothing!

I’m pretty sure that this is not terribly out of the normal around here to have people be super generous and willing to share. I’m excited to invite these people over to our place for dinner or lunch. Granted all we know how to make is spaghetti and French toast; but those are two high quality American meals.:) So all of this to say…I really like sticking around here in Copan for the extended weekends, instead of spending money on travel I save money by getting free stuff from people. Does that defeat the purpose of generosity? I don’t think so, I just enjoy it to it’s fullest.:)

1 comment:

Anna Assink said...

Copied & took your last 2 blogs with us when Julie took me to the airport this AM - I read it aloud, and fortunately, laughing too much did not get us into an accident on 580! Keep on cookin' G'ma