Sunday, November 4, 2007

La Muerte No Significa El Fin

Yesterday afternoon I was given the sad news that our first grade assistant, Miriam, passed away from a massive stroke that she suffered several weeks back. There was a brain bleed that would not stay clotted and doctors could do nothing for her. Unfortunately she never made it back from the hospital in San Pedro, but passed away en route. Last night everybody dropped everything to plan and attend a huge vigil for her in which her body was placed in the church and people could come say one last good-bye to her if they so desired. I definitely did not desire, I know what she looked like just fine.:)
It was sad to say good-bye to a friend. Even sadder because she was only about 41 and left behind two younger daughters. One is only in fourth grade at Mayatan! She did not have a husband and so the children are left with family members in town. I'm not exactly in the best mood after this weekend, but it was such a different and awesome way to have a funeral. The vigil was a great time to just sit with other friends of Miriam's and chat. I got to know a couple of new people and get caught up with old friends. Well...old friends here in Copan for me are people I met 2 months ago.:) Fortunately the family is well taken care of by friends and supported by all of us at the school. It was not the most desirable weekend I've ever had, but I was glad to be in the area and hopefully be of some help to the family...

No comments: