Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Traditional Untradition

For the second time in three years I’m spending Thanksgiving outside of the states. More importantly I’m spending the holiday away from my family. Is this becoming a tradition or something? I was pretty bummed to not be spending Thanksgiving in Yakima with all my family. Although I don’t know most of their names, and we tend to play more card games than talk to each other, it’s the Thanksgiving get together!
Down here we had dinner at the Hotel Marina Copan. It’s one of the nicest in town and the food was a close imitation of American Thanksgiving. I arrived about 10 minutes late (although technically on time here in Honduras) because I was taking a nap. The first half hour or so was really awkward as I was still waking up and didn’t feel much like small talk. We did the usual small talk…making fun of how the group always splits into the “gringos” and “indios.” I don’t really like how we always divide like that, it’s just the natural thing to do. I got to sit at a table with Norma, Marisol, and Rudy. They are all Honduran staff at Mayatan and they are a hoot!
We told all sorts of funny stories and made fun of the “solitaria” (essentially a tape worm) that I have in my stomach because I tend to eat more than the normal person does. However, tonight I just had a regular amount of food, just for the record.:) This is the second Thanksgiving in the past three years that despite not being around family I have been around people that I love and it’s been great. The people down here are amazing and we had an excellent conversation filled with English, Spanish, and Spanglish.
Paige and Ty are due to arrive at any time from San Pedro and I’m getting kind of excited. I should really go to bed because it’s almost 10pm as I write this but I’m trying to stay up for them. 10pm might not seem that late to all of you but when I walked back from Marina Copan at 9:30 this place was a ghost town! I actually love it, not gonna lie.:)

No comments: