Friday, May 16, 2008

The Lights Went

No really they left and went away. At least that’s how you say it in Spanish, “se fue la luz.” Where it went to I’m not sure, but it happens frequently around here, the luz decides there is a better place to be and leaves us alone with the oscuridad (darkness). For example, at school on Wednesday we are in the middle of class and the power goes out. It not really a huge deal. I can deal without the luz, but then the fan in my room doesn’t work. Also not a huge deal, unless it’s around 95 out and quite humid! I actually don’t think I’ve been in weather a whole lot hotter feeling than this here the past couple days. Then there’s the friend of luz, agua, they rarely hang out together because one of them is usually turned off. Today at school we had the pleasure of being without either one. Also not a huge deal for school, we can function as far as class goes. However, the lunches can’t be prepared by the caseta without luz and agua. My eighth graders started a roomer that we were going at 11am due to the lack of our two friends. I went to the office to ask and they had a perplexed look, “no, we’re not leaving early.” Dangit! I wanted to go early, I was hot and tired! Then I went later in the morning, around 9, to try and convince Norma that we should not have class. Once again, I failed…I think that due to pressure from multiple teachers (i.e. everybody) and reasoning the office decided to send us home at 11am! You should have seen the joy, the jubilation, this sense of little school children playing in the mud filling the lunchroom. And that was just amongst the teachers, you should have seen how happy the kids were!
In order to celebrate the canceling of Wednesday afternoon I played baseball with a bunch of kids at school, went home for two seconds, and went to the pool where I found a good place for not only myself, but just about every teacher at Mayatan. We get in for free, but normally you need to pay 50 lempiras. I really think that I need to go there more often, I don’t know why I haven’t. Oh right, it’s like a 5 minute walk from my house, just so far. After I walk a solid 25 minutes to school I just can’t make it those extra five minutes, whew…:) I love when the luz decides to go away…but more so when the agua also decides to leave with it on vacation and we leave school early.:)

No comments: