Saturday, May 3, 2008

North Coast

Yesterday marked the first time I've ever visited the North Coast of Honduras and the first time that I've ever been in the Caribbean. First off, the water is a delightful temperature! Second off, I do suggest going with Hondurans to a Honduras beach if you get the chance.:)
We left Copan at 5:15am and arrived in Tela around 10:30am. It was a long trek to get there, but so worth it once we arrived. Heck, I took Dramamine and was awake for about an hour of the trip (most of that being our breakfast stop). I got to swim in the ocean for the first time in years! I don't even remember the last time that I fully immersed myself and swam in the ocean...wow, I just thought about how long it's been. Anyways, there's an old railroad bridge thing that goes into the middle of nowhere but serves as a good pier to walk out on and get a good view of the beach in both directions. For lunch we had an amazing amount of choices and I was forced to choose the Tilapia fish (I had to go with fish on the coast). It was the hugest plate I've seen in eons loaded with fish fried in Parmesan cheese, different...but good.
After lunch I didn't return to the water but instead played some soccer with the kids on the trip and read my book in the shade next to the ocean. It was such a relaxing time that we had! We left the beach at 5pm and arrived back in Copan around 10:30pm last night. All the other foreign staff stayed in Tela for the weekend so I got to ride back with a bunch of Hondurans. I sat near Eva and Lourdes and it was great. They're two of the cleaning ladies at school. They have a good understanding of my Spanish ability since I've talked with them both quite a bit and they know when to slow down and when they can talk normal speed. I think that they can read the expression on my face really well to know if I'm completely lost or not. Lourdes then decided that singing along with the Ranchero music would be a good idea and our bus driver Lino apparently agreed. Ranchero is the Mexican style accordion music with pistols shooting off and guys hooting loudly and out of control. Does that paint a good picture for the type of music? It was hilarious to hear them both singing along at times.:)
So there you have it...my first and probably not last trip to the north coast of Honduras. Oh, didn't even mention the best part, all of the trip... paid for by the school! They gave us a 100 lempira allowance of which I even saved 15 lempiras, so I got paid to go to the coast! Now, when you do the conversion, that's only 80 cents, but hey, that's a whole baleada or two depending where I go!:)

No comments: