Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hospitality 102

I’ve now graduated from hospitality 101 here in Honduras and am moving upwards in my education. While on my way home from Copán I had to spend a night in San Pedro. I was looking at hotels when I ran into a friend of a friend who lives in San Pedro. She has two kids ages 21 and 18 and she invited me to spend the night with her. Her older daughter is married and lives in the United States and her younger son is still in school. Currently (while I’m at her house) he’s still in Copán hanging out with friends there during vacations. I show up to the bus terminal and she comes to pick me up there and take me back to her house in a taxi. We get out and walk around the two main malls of San Pedro and walk over to her aunt’s house. The two malls was alright, we just walked around and drank smoothies. My pineapple/banana smoothie was not as great as I would have hoped for. So anyways, we go over to her aunt’s house who gives me coffee and cookies. Then we come back to Thelma’s (that’s the friends name) place and she has me sit and watch tv while she makes dinner. She gives me a huge dinner with beans, rice, tortillas, plátanos, cheese, etc. and home-made orange juice. After dinner we sit down and watch some of the BYU-Arizona football game while we chat it up. This lady is so incredibly hospitable and check out these two traumatic events that have happened to her in the past year and a half:
1) Her husband was shot and killed over a land dispute with another gentleman (who wasn’t actually a gentleman). Thelma’s husband had brought out a lawyer to settle a land dispute over about 16 acres of land. When the lawyer concluded that it was rightfully her husband’s the other guy agreed to it, signed the papers, etc. Then as he walked away the guy pulled out a pistol and shot him twice in the back. Turns out the guy who shot her husband was later shot himself by a hired-hand of his. All that happened one month before the daughters wedding!
2) So now her husband is dead and they move to a new apartment. In the middle of the night the apartment gets broken into and this idiot steals everything from the kitchen, cell phones, etc. As he starts to take the sewing machine (which she now makes her living off of) some keys fell to the floor waking up her son. He went out and saw that a man was standing there and he started to yell at him. Thelma woke up and ran out but the guy split out the window with what he had taken so far.
At the end of all these stories that she’s telling me you know what she says to me? “God is good. This man could have stolen more from the house or even killed us.” Despite her husband being shot over an unjust dispute and a bunch of her belongings being stolen all she has to say to me is still, “God is good.” Now if that’s not a lady to model your attitude after who can find me a better one?

No comments: