Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Queridas Clases

I have been substituting for the past couple days in one of my favorite classes…fourth grade. They are all still very interested in school and learning and at an age that is great for motivating to learn. Yet they aren’t old enough yet to cop an attitude and talk back to the teacher (nor do they have that good of English yet). So I get to ask them for rhyming words and they continue to shout out, “Tear! Hear! Fear! Ear! Near! Dear!” My favorite part of subbing for the past couple days was when the kids kept walking around on the floor with their shoes off (down on their knees) singing, “Quiero mover el bote! Quiero mover el bote!” Which is the song from Madagascar that goes something like, “I want to move it move it! I want to move it move it!” I keep telling them, “What is that smell?! Oh sick! Francisco put your shoes back on!” Then he responds to me (still on his knees with his shoes under his knees), “Look Mister! I’m in Kindergarten!” I just turned back to the board to keep writing while I laughed to myself. I can’t encourage that kind of behavior…but I can’t keep a straight face either.:)
I notice the secret to teaching this age group….positive thinking and positive speak. The first day was exhausting with lots of, “Sit down!” “Don’t do that!” “Please don’t talk!” So I decided on day two to have a more positive attitude and point out the people doing the correct thing. I got an immediate response! In the morning they come in, get out their notebook for morning questions, and start answering questions on the board. It was a little hard to get them all to sit and start….but a couple people were. The second that I said, “Thank you Dulce for starting the morning questions. Delmer, you are also doing an excellent job!” the response from other kids was immediate (and fairly loud as well), “Look Mister! I’m working too!” They all started to work on their morning questions, no more reminders or commands…aren’t I the greatest? Wait, I take that back, aren’t fourth graders the best?:)

1 comment:

Jared said...

Wish you had been my 4th grade teacher. :)