Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Enjoying the Shrink

Last week I had yet another privilege of working on a medical brigade. This one was a little bit different as they brought quite a few of their own translators. Also, there was a psychiatrist that didn't always want a middle schooler being the interpreter, so I got to work with him quite a bit. We got to talk with a lot of different people and cases and I realized for the first time....Copan really needs a psychiatrist!:) I thought that it was fascinating to work with somebody who knew a lot about interacting with people and getting them to open up and talk. It blew me away that this guy from the US was down here getting people to talk for a half hour or an hour about their various problems. I thought that being a psychiatrist would be a fun job....but I imagine that takes a special person to be able to do that. I know I know, we're all special...but I think I'm special for other things, not a psych.:)
I feel like I could start a whole separate blog to be about medical brigades. And guess what I was advised is coming next week and I need to go to at least one day to help out...a medical brigade!:)

No comments: