Thursday, February 19, 2009

What's wrong with Catholicism?

I had another conversation today that drove me crazy about religion. I was at a medical brigade coordinated by Evangelical churches around here when I got into a conversation with a lady who was in line. She asked me if I went to La Iglesia Renovacion and I said no...she asked which one I went to and I said the Catholic Church. I got the usual treatment from people in this area...she asked me if my parents were both Christian and I said that my dad was actually a pastor, and my mom also is one...her next sentence made me want to punch her in the face! She proceeded to say, "Oh, so you're the only one in your family who doesn't love Jesus?" What am I supposed to say to that one? "Oh, you're right, that guy drives me crazy! Who did he think he was anyway?!" Or do I begin a circular conversation in which I say that I am Christian and do love Jesus (but because she is pre-dispositioned to my Hell-bound living as a "Catholic" she won't change her stance). So I just answered her with, "algo asi (something like that)." The rest of the conversation was short, awkward, and I left shortly there-after.
Now tell me something, is there something that I'm missing? I've grown up believing that the stance of one's Christianity is ultimately up to the individual and God...and we can't judge each other...especially when we just meet. There are of course standards to Christianity such as the early Church Creeds and Biblical standards...but that would be too much to think about for this lady, right?
Now I won't make this whole thing saying how great Catholicism is, of course there are problems that I have with the Church. What church have I ever gone to other than Bedside Baptist that I didn't have at least a small disagreement with? I'm still not too high on this whole asking Saints and the Virgin Mary to intercede for us, but I'm a big fan of the tradition and other things in the church. I don't say that I'm Catholic, but I do go to that church. No church is perfect, but what is the point? Do we go to church for the community? The preaching? The church creed? Personally I'd have to say that the point of church is to form a community of support for spiritual growth and encouragement. The church is a group of Christians that can have a shared experienced worshiping God...does God care if I worship Him in a Catholic, Baptist, Quaker, Reformed, Lutheran, etc. church? I submit that he does not!:) Disagree if you must...but please don't beat me down for it.:)

No comments: