Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Razón en Quedarme 2 Años

As you can guess form my last post, in the few days that I’ve been here already I’m finding more and more reasons to support my decision in returning to Copan. There are the obvious reasons of returning to friends that I already know and have but I’ve also discovered something completely unexpected.
Thursday night last week a gentleman (Saúl) invited Megan, Kathy, and I to an art show in town at another gentleman’s house/art studio (Edgar). It ends up just me and Isnala (6th grade teacher) head out there to check it out. The art show is incredible as Edgar shows off all the artwork from his students, which are amazingly talented. I start talking to Edgar’s wife Nelly who runs a tiny little bar that they have their to help support the art studio which was built with money on a grant from the World Bank (side note). Nelly tells me that she remembers me because I helped at a medical brigade last year when she brought in their four year old daughter Luna. I immediately remembered her! For starters I think that the name Luna is freaking awesome, it means “moon” in Spanish, which sounds kinda like a hippy name, but good none-the-less. She had brought in her daughter in the morning and then left to return later. When she returned nobody could find her paperwork and so the mean nurse running the registration table turned them away. I heard it so I talked to them and tried to track down the papers but couldn’t. So I went behind mean nurse’s back to the director and got new papers for them to fill out so that she could be seen.
The story seems to be dragging on a little at this point, so I’ll wrap it up with a moral…There are things that I have done here in the past both good and bad that still come into play this year. As a small town people are used to remembering things people have done to hurt and help them. It was an immediate reminder that the little things we do today to help somebody will carry for a long time. On the flip side, the things you do to hurt people (sometimes inadvertent) can also carry on for a very long time. Therefore, let’s focus on the things that will benefit those around us, not just ourselves because people will never say when you are gone, “wow, Zach was so amazing! He did so much to help himself, he was really just a selfish person and that’s what I loved about him!”

No comments: