Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sera Que No Se

Here we go again, another year in Honduras as the librarian is about to commence. Only this time I'm actually going to be in the library....right? So they tell me at least. I'm going to be in the library with Diana. She was the librarian last year and we're supposed to be sharing the job, organizing all the libros (books), and...does any of this sound familiar? Oh right, I said the same exact thing one year ago!
Sin embargo, I think that things are actually going to be different this year. Maybe I'm delirious and optimistic beyond all belief on this subject. I put in my year in secondary to earn this library job, now I want to work in the LIBRARY!:) Es decir that I'm pretty excited about this next year as of this point in time. I'm going to have the same housing that I left off with last year right next to three families that I get along with great despite the "colorful" words that they teach me sometimes. I've learned something important this past year: always check the new words you learn from somebody with a third party!
This is a story about that last part, if you don't want to read it, just be done reading...I have a list of "Honduran words" that a friend gave me so I put myself to learning some of them. One of the new phrases that I learn is "pelarse la tusa" which was translated as, "to leave." Literally it's like saying "to remove your own husk." I thought, "awesome! I'm gonna use this all the time." I go up to one of the cleaning ladies and I'm talking to her and tell her, "Bueno, me pelo la tusa." Her response was to laugh and tell me, "Pelesela al otro lado." Basically she told me to go away. Whatever, that's not the first time a friend has said that to me.
I then go into the directors office later that day with the academic director and when I'm leaving I say once again, "Voy a pelarme la tusa."
They look at me mouths gaping..."Where did you learn that?!" "Oh...(I realize this was not a good move)...um...a list of words that Nelly gave me...(like when my grandma was going to wash my mouth with soap)..."
Their response was firm but friendly, "Educated people don't talk like that."
Turns out that the phrase is something along the lines of "I'm removing the condom." Which I suppose, yes, it means that I am done...but does anybody else see why I turned bright red upon finding this out?

1 comment:

Jared said...

Hope these next two months go really well for you! See you in October, amigo!

Me pelo la... I mean, me voy. ;) Que cuento tan bueno, aúnque desafortunado.