Saturday, August 16, 2008

Si Copán Fuera Una Mujer…

Yo tendría una novia. Unfortunately that’s not so.
I arrived back in Copan today (Wednesday) and I must say that this is the most amazing place that I could be right now in my life. After a long 18+ hour trip back to Copan I arrived with only minor delays despite half the highway outside Copan being washed out in the rains. I only spent some time in the town but saw so many familiar faces and friends that I couldn’t take more than 25 or 30 steps without stopping to talk. It’s really amazing how blessed I have been in this little town of 8,000 or so people.
Of course the FIRST thing that I had to do…any guesses? Eat a baleada! For those that have not had the privilege of experiencing this life changing food here’s a short description: Take a flour tortilla and spread bean paste over one half of it. Then add some salty cheese they have here on top of it and top it off with some buttery creamy stuff. Fold the tortilla in half and poof! Baleada!
The funny thing is that I’ve had 4 people tell me that I’m fatter than two months ago! I found that interesting, they said my face is rounder and I look healthier. I guess that means in June when I left I looked like a starving poor little child. I told them it’s cause I didn’t have my 45 minutes every day of walking back and forth from school (20-25 each way).
So for an American who has “put on weight” over the vacations, I could not be more content…happy….lucky….blessed…any word that you choose.:)

1 comment:

Jared said...

Hey, gordito. ;) Glad to hear you made it back to Copán!