Saturday, August 29, 2009

Repairman for a Day...or Two

I recently acquired my car from my cousin who had been taking care of her for the past year I was gone. She told me, “there are just a few problems...” One being that the drivers side window kind of goes down and kind of goes up. This was a problem when I turned the car over to her, yet the motor had managed to almost officially die. The motor, if you will, went onto hospice.
I asked my brother, “how do you fix a window motor?” “Oh simple, just pop off the door panel, take out the old one, and put in the new one!” If only it were so simple....yet I didn’t know this until many hours into the project! So early Thursday morning I embarked on a mission that would take me two trips to Shucks, countless efforts of looking for help online, and a lot of guessing/hoping/praying.
What was supposed to be a quick morning fix on Thursday was finally completed in time for lunch on Friday. I tried, I guessed, and I conquered....mostly. The monetary cost was significantly cheaper than taking it to a mechanic, but the non-monetary cost may turn out to be quite high. I busted one place intended once upon a time for a screw. So there are now two screws, not three, holding my door together. I busted a small panel on the door, but that was easily fixed with a few extra screws. And the kicker on the home repair....I tried the window when we were all done....I took a deep breath....waited....and pushed....nothing....I tried again....I pushed down on the power window button....nothing....I took another deep breath....looked at my dad....and pushed up....IT WORKED! When I pushed up on the window button it went down, and when I pushed down it went up. So in a sense, yes, the window works perfectly!

No comments: