Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fíjate Bien

Once a week I’ve gotten into the routine of helping a friend of mine with his English class that he takes on the weekend in high school. It started out with just him, then just a couple of friends, and now it’s usually about 7 or 8 of us as I help them work through translations and various English activities. Friday night was another night that I helped them through all of the activities. Unlike other nights I stayed after for a while since Nufo and I got to talking. He’s about 34, married, and has two kids. He works full time during the week and takes high school classes on the weekends to finish his degree. Just that alone earns a lot of respect in my book.
Anyways, I got back to my house and was feeling really good about life here in Copán. I’ve had a great sense of peace in the past month that I’ve been back here. I feel extremely content to be here and know that of all the places that I could have gone after college that this is the town God sent me to. Last year I went to church but wasn’t much into the habit of reading my Bible and really meditating on anything of remote importance in life. This year I’ve done much better about that so far and I think that from it stems my sense of knowing this is where God has sent me.
Like I always tend to do, I was listening to some music that same evening when the song “Alive,” by P.O.D. came on. I assume that you don’t know the song, thus I’ve put the lyrics at the end. I’m thankful for every day, every interaction, and every breath that I take while I’m here in Copán. I am trying not to take life for granted here. I am surrounded by constant reminders of God’s faithfulness which are so easily missed when not looking for them…así que fíjate bien (so pay attention)…

Alive – P.O.D.
Every day is a new day
I’m thankful for every breath I take
I won’t take it for granted
So I learn from my mistakes
It’s beyond my control so I’m about to let go
Whatever happens in this lifetime
So I trust in love
You have given me peace of mind
I feel so alive, for the very first time

No comments: