Friday, September 19, 2008

La Antigua Guatemala (Ending)

We made reservations and paid for a bus on Monday afternoon that was set to leave at 1pm on Wednesday afternoon. We show up to the travel agency at quarter to one to check in for the bus and they tell us, “Fíjese que no hay bus hoy porque los caminos están cerrados por manifestaciones.” Now, the look on your face trying to understand that is about what mine was like at this point in time. “There must be a mistake,” I responded, “how are the roads closed for demonstrations?” Turns out (in my opinion) that we were the only 3 people on the bus and they thought we had “buen billete” to pay for a private shuttle bus that they wanted to put us on at 4pm for only another $96! We’d already paid $36 and I wasn’t about to give them another penny. We got a refund and made a break for a couple other travel agencies but there was never a bus at 1pm. We took a public bus from Antigua to Guatemala City, then a taxi from that bus station to another one in order to catch a bus closer to Honduras, took a bus from there to Chiquimula (about an hour from the border). Of course nothing comes simple in Honduras (or Guatemala in this case) as we were delayed by a landslide and a car accident for about an hour or so total. We arrived to Chiquimula at 8pm to find out, “No hay buses a la frontera hasta mañana a las 5.” Since I didn’t want to stay a night there and take a bus at 5 in the morning hoping to make it to school by 7am we decided to head to the park and find a taxi. I tried making some phone calls to friends along the way but things were complicated by me not having credit on my phone, and then when I did get it I had poor reception in Guatemala.
We decide that the best idea (cause we’ve heard it’s a dangerous town and dangerous to cross the border at night) is to stop in at a pharmacy and have them call us a secure taxi. A lady calls us her “friend” to pick us up. He charges us about $35, but agrees to take the three of us all the way to Copán! That’s about an hour and a half drive…and we’re leaving at 8:30pm! On the road we talk to him a little and “apenas” he talks to us. I ask him how he knows the lady that calls him and he tells us, “I met her at a party and she got my number to take her home that night.” “Perfect! So you are a person of real confidence?” That’s what I wanted to ask him, but resisted.
We finally arrived to the park in Copán a little before 10pm at night in the rain and without electricity…we were home.:)

No comments: