Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Otra Día, Otra Brigada

For the fourth straight school day and the fifth time in the past week I was not in the library! However, this time I was not substituting like other days, I got the day off of school to go supervise our secondary students in action at a medical brigade (una brigada). It’s a group from Pennsylvania who is here this week. We are sending about eight students each day to help interpret. I thought that I was going to be a little bored and walking around mindlessly like the case usually is the first couple days of a brigade but they threw me right into the mix to interpret! It was great! As far as medical brigades go this is the best one that has come through with respect to the students. All of the students have a person they are assigned to and know what they are to be doing at all times. Therefore we don’t have any students wandering around, talking on their cell phones, flirting non-stop (there’s still flirting between students…just not at much as a high school summer camp), etc. The hardest case of today was a lady who came in with a tumor behind her eye. It had cut off vision to an eye and was pushing the eye straight out. They had to send her to a hospital cause they couldn’t attend to her. I get to go back to the brigade on Thursday and Friday so I’m pretty excited. I would also be excited if I were to show up at school tomorrow and be working in the library…☺

No comments: