Sunday, September 28, 2008

¡Que Día Más Maravilloso!

This has been one of my favorite days in Copán this year and probably since coming here last year. In the morning we had our annual teacher excursion to the Finca Santa Isabel. It’s the coffee farm that the Welchez own (who also own the school) and since last Wednesday was Teacher’s Day we celebrated it at the Finca this weekend. We took a tractor to the top of a nature trail there and then hiked down through the forest and coffee plants to arrive at a restaurant. We had the most amazing lunch including tamales, tortillas, pork, and some amazing dessert thing (of which I don’t think my mom was a fan of last year).
We arrived back in Copán just in time for a short rain shower as David, Cody, and I headed over to Suly’s house to visit the new baby. Her name is Yaira Annet Mendez (or something along those lines) and was a healthy 7 pounds 11 ounces as of Wednesday night. After 30+ hours of labor Suly finally had a c-section done so she is still recovering in bed. There are plenty of visitors to see the new baby and keep her busy though. Last night I refused to “chinearla” because I was afraid of breaking a two-day-old baby but now that she’s a day older I held the baby. I know there’s something cool and special about new-borns but I’m still a big fan of kids when they are at least 2 and you can play with them…not just carry them around.
To top off my amazing day we all went up to a party at another teacher’s place. I wasn’t too excited about it cause I wanted to speak more Spanish, not more English. We show up to the party and walk in the door to see three of the Spanish teachers sitting there with some of the other teachers. Perfect! I hung out with them almost the whole night just shooting the breeze, telling jokes, and “contando pajas.” We had dinner and then played bananagrams! But not just any bananagrams, we played it in Spanish!!! It was so much fun and we had a fun time as I inserted all sorts of “indiadas” (Honduran words) into my words. The Spanish teachers got a kick out of it, although I never won. Those that haven’t played the game, it’s like Scrabble (Speed Scrabble to be exact).
Well, now that all is said and done…the day is coming to a close….I should get to sleeping. That’s the one thing that would make this night any better!:)