Saturday, September 6, 2008

Una Semana Pasada (Not Pesada)

The first day of school this past Monday was eventful and interesting. I show up and relax with a cup of coffee in my new domain known as the library. I walk over to the office getting ready for the assembly when Megan hands me a schedule and says, "A teacher's not here today...can you cover her classes?" Well sure, why not? Marisol jokes that they just don't want me to forget that I'm also the substitute.:) Since it was a Spanish teacher I got to teach half the classes in Spanish and half the classes in English, it was awesome!
After an overwhelming day of substituting I spent the last four days in the library with Diana and things were great. We were reading with kids, helping with check-out, and organizing books. Mainly the little kids section right now with all the Clifford, Bearenstain Bear, Magic School Bus, etc. books. Last night we had the "entrega de libros" where all the parents came to get all the textbooks for their kids. There was mass chaos, a little cursing from parents, lots of stress, and when it was all said and done about 1/3 of the parents got books instead of all of them like we had planned. As I left school with Diana, her family, David, and Cody at 8pm last night I was thankful that while my job may be just as stressful as teaching at times....I enjoy it so much! I enjoyed everything about the book stuff last night, including helping a gentleman fill out his paper who couldn't read and write. His nephew is on scholarship at school and is a great student. Stories like that make me really enjoy my job at Mayatan and make me hopeful for things to come at school this year and possibly in the future.:)

No comments: