Friday, January 4, 2008

The “Famous” Salvadorian Band

Did any of you hear about this group from El Salvador that was coming up for the Rose Parade but couldn’t raise enough money for the flight so they drove 5 buses up from El Salvador? Well, my mom told me about this group on New Years day and I remember thinking, “Great mom, big deal…it’s cheaper for them to take a bus, big whoop.” Although I really did care a little bit and I thought it was cool that they drove 5 days in 5 buses to get to L.A. for the parade. Anyways, our flight from Houston to San Salvador was supposed to leave at 5:45 but it was delayed to 6:05…we get on the plane at 6 and they announce that we are waiting for 47 students who represented “nuestro amado pais” (our beloved country) in the Rose Parade. I was thinking, cool, this will be fun to have a bunch of little kids on the plane. Well, as it turns out, this was part of the 200+ students that drove up from El Salvador and they had gotten the money to fly back down. One of the girls, Jenny, sat next to me and I got to talk with her throughout the flight. It was super great to get to know her and meet the “Famous Salvadorian Band”! I told her that my mom had told me about her group and asked about them driving up, for her it was her first time flying as well. She just laughed when I told her that they were famous now for making the 5 day drive just for the Rose Parade. I’m so excited to be able to say that I sat next to one of them! They were all over the plane, kids from 14-21 years old she said. She just played the cachiporra which is…I have no idea…I need to look that up. Sounds fun though.:) Anyways, other than that the travel down was fairly uneventful…just me and my famous Salvadorian friends.:)

No comments: