Saturday, January 26, 2008

La Casa Mas Bonita del Mundo

Maybe not the most beautiful house in the world, but it is certainly one of the best houses that I've visited before. Today Blair (my roomate), Farah (school secretary), Suly (Kindergarten assistant), Koali (Sixth grade teacher), and Eva (school cleaning lady) all went up to the house of Eva's mom today. We hiked for about a half hour from Copan to Nueva Esperanza which is a little city nearby. From there we then hiked up into the middle of nowhere and then a little bit further. It was about a half hour hike through the brush and nothingness to get to her mom's house. When I got there I asked her younger sister if they had any neighbors and she just gave me a look like, "are you a freaking idiot?" The house has no electricity, no running water, it's made of tun/aluminum and wooden planks. It's freaking awesome!:) They made us the most amazing chicken and rice meal that I have had in a long time. Then for dessert there just happens to be a million pineapple plants in the area so we had a couple of pineapples. The walk back was quite the adventure as it was misting at the start. It was perfect weather and we had an awesome view of the city from the trail. Part way down though it started to pour down rain! Ok, not pour, but rain, not just a mist. By the time that we got home Blair and I were both fairly soaked to the bone. I'm excited to go back there in the future. Eva has like 7 brothers and sisters. Her younger sister Maria lives at home, she's 23, and has 3 kids! I'm almost 23! I don't want three kids! Ay Dios mio.

1 comment:

Anna Assink said...

The middle of nowhere sounds like an Honduran Eden....who wouldn't want to go there - except someone without hiking boots and an umbrella! G'ma