Friday, January 4, 2008

Just When Traveling was Getting Boring…

I meet a guy named Tim, he’s far from any person that I would just strike up a great conversation with and be best friends. For starters, he’s on the plane to El Salvador and doesn’t speak Spanish very well, that’s strike number one. Strike number two is that he swears quite a bit. And strike three I learned after the flight…he smokes like a chimney, but more like a wildfire. However, he’s nice beyond all belief and I start to strike up a short conversation with him and he asks where I’m staying at. I tell him the name of the place and he says, “maybe we can take you there on the way home.” He tells his wife where it’s at and she says, “oh, the center of town, you don’t want to go there. Why don’t you stay at our house instead? We have an extra bed and would love to have you with us.” So naturally, without thinking that maybe these people are going to rob me, kill me, drop me in a ditch somewhere I say, “That’d be great!” I hop into the truck with Tim, his wife, his 11 year old daughter, and his brother-in-law Milton. Not thinking anything weird still until I realize that I’m with a complete stranger who supposedly works at the US Embassy in San Salvador, married two years ago to a Salvadorian lady, smokes and swears like it’s going outta style, and they’re telling me how you can’t trust people in San Salvador cause they will kill you and take your money.:) Anyways, we get to his house eventually and it’s really nice. It’s in a gated community and his wife just changes the sheets on the bed, sweeps the room, starts the air conditioning, and mops the floor saying, “make yourself at home!” My mom doesn’t mop my floor! Maybe cause it’s carpet…so here I am, and I just found out they have wireless internet in their house…and it’s fast…and free. This is the greatest!

1 comment: