Sunday, October 12, 2008

Gana Honduras!

Last night I went to my second ever futbol game here in Honduras and my first of the National Team. It's the fourth game in the second round for the World Cup '10. This game was vs. Canada (which we beat 2-1 in Canada). I was one of some 35,000 happy fans at kickoff...do you say that in futbol or is that a football term? I think it's both. Maybe I should go back to the start. I went with Graham (teaches at Mayatan) and Teresa as well as 25 or so Honduran folks. We were going to meet with David and Cody (and David's sister) at the game but they came late, at halftime. We took a bus at 2pm, got to the game at 6pm, left at 10pm, and got home at 2am!
The first half was fairly uneventful. Honduras scored a goal 8 minutes into the game, I jumped up, screamed, yelled, clapped, and then sat back down. I wanted to sit in the middle of our Honduran group but got stuck on the outside without anybody near me that I knew. The second half I went and got David, Cody, and his sister and then got a seat in the middle of the Honduran crowd! Canada scored a goal quickly in the second half to quiet us all down and sit us down. But just about 8 minutes after that Honduras took the lead on a sweet goal! We all jumped up, clapped, yelled, gave high 5's, and cheered. One of the guys in the group, being completely smashed, told me "Fijate que pareces Catracho!" (look dude, you seem Honduran!). We stayed standing the rest of the first half singing, yelling, shouting, and of course shouting at the ref. Honduras added on one last goal at the end to make it 3-1 final. The same drunk buddy who told me that I seem Honduran then told me on the way out that I was Honduran...several times. Once again proving the theory, alcohol ruins your judgment.

No comments: